[mapserver-dev] GSoC projects for MapServer?

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Apr 30 12:51:41 PDT 2013

Hi Thomas, SteveL, (CC: mapserver-dev)

I got a few resumes from local Computer Science university students that
I am reviewing, and we would like to mentor one of them for a GSoC
project. We'd like to find local talent who can do low-level coding in
C/C++ to eventually join Mapgears to become a MapServer and GDAL/OGR
contributor (no secrets, my strategy is clear :-) ).

One project that came to mind was UTFGrid support (RFC 93). Do you think
this would be a good candidate for a GSoC project? Would one of you
(Thomas or Steve) be willing to help by co-mentoring a student on that
project as this would affect code owned by you in large part?

Another project that I have been thinking about is basic WFS 2.0 support
(whatever level of support is possible to achieve in a summer). Less
exciting and challenging, but still something much needed. Maybe Stephan
would be interested in co-mentoring this?

If anyone has other cool MapServer GSoC project ideas please share them.
We got a few great candidate students and have to make a decision
sometimes tomorrow on which projects to propose to them in order to meet
the Friday noon deadline for student proposals.

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/