[mapserver-dev] RFC 102: Styleitem Javascript Plugin

Alan Boudreault aboudreault at mapgears.com
Tue Aug 20 09:09:30 PDT 2013

On 13-08-20 11:12 AM, Howard Butler wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2013, at 11:17 AM, Alan Boudreault <aboudreault at mapgears.com> wrote:
>
>> Devs,
>>
>> Please take a look at RFC 102 which propose the addition of a styleitem javascript plugin as an alternative to style our features.
>>
>> http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-102.html
>>
>> I'll be calling for vote on it next week.
>
> * Will a handle to the V8 engine be kept alive similar to database connections (pooling)? Is the light up of V8 expensive?

This is something I've thought about. It would interesting to have an
option similar to the db pooling to keep alive the V8 engine + compiled
script for fcgi. I don't think it will be done in this phase but
certainly in the near future.

> * Will everything be compiled after the mapfile is parsed or as the styles are touched?

Styles are touched. First time: JS Engine Initialization + script
compilation. Then only execution.

> * Is only string and file javascript going to be allowed, or will URLs too?

No plan for url at the moment. Could be a good addition in the future
though and should only be an internal change.

> Looks great,
>
> Howard

Alan Boudreault
http://www.mapgears.com/