[mapserver-dev] 6.4 stable branch gone wild

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 05:16:24 PST 2013

Well, I should have looked into my own mess rather than point fingers
erroneously, and would like to humbly apologize about that. After
another few hours of going through the commits and wondering how/what
happened, `git reflog` showed me that when I was updating my checkout
for applying https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/pull/4805, I made
a typo and pulled origin/master instead of origin/branch-6-4 into my
local 6-4 branch, effectively merging master into 6.4. Given I had
just previously backported the 6.4 fixes into master (by merging
branch-6-4 into master), the erroneous pull effectively just
fast-forwarded branch-6-4 to be the same as master (i.e. I don't have
a commit I can revert).
While it is easy to revert back to the 6.4 branch as it should be, I
can't see how I can do that without rewriting the history, which would
affect people who have pulled the 6.4 branch since november 20th.
(From the network graph, this would mean Paul, Karl and myself (cc'd))
I'll leave this here for one day in case someone comes up with a
better solution, and if not will apply that change, and followup with
instructions for Paul, Karl and any other people who will have to
update their repository for the rewritten history.

Sorry folks,
thomas