[mapserver-dev] oid too large (row number uint32)

Bart van den Eijnden bartvde at osgis.nl
Wed Dec 11 11:21:29 PST 2013

Hey list,

we are running into the issue where the PostgreSQL oid’s are getting too large for MapServer’s uint32 row number variable (as described here [1]). It has unfortunately taken down the query function from the GIS portal that we run.

Is it feasible at all to modify the MapServer source to deal with larger numbers (we could modify our local install)? Or would this influence too many things in the code base? Is there a performance / memory penalty to be paid?

A lot of tables / views have no suitable primary keys unfortunately, and doing an initdb on the database is also not feasible in our case.

TIA for any guidance.

[1] http://lists.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2004-May/004739.html

Best regards,
Bart