[mapserver-dev] Enable/disable OWS layers by IP list

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Feb 13 10:29:03 PST 2013

> And finally, even if that is a simple and straightforward addition, I
> think that a short RFC to document it would be nice and I'd encourage
> you to produce one. RFCs are often the only reference for some features
> until they make it to the docs... there are even some features from a
> few releases ago for which the RFC is still the only/best docs available
> (unfortunately).

Hi devs,

I'd like to speak to this issue of many features being added and then
docs becoming left behind.  In my opinion this is mostly due to support
being provided for contractors/consultants to develop a feature, but no
support is provided for documenting and testing the feature.
Unfortunately this important step (critical for users) is left out of
most funded projects.  Those that have tried to add even a wiki page
know how long it takes to properly test and document a feature (I'd
argue that this time/effort is equal or even more than the time/effort
to develop the feature).  This issue faces all of our OSGeo projects,
not just MapServer.

I hope we all make a point to change this, and help our great software
become even better.

Thanks for listening,

-jeff
(documentation lead hat on)