[mapserver-dev] MS RFC 87: Bitmap pattern support

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 14:30:33 PST 2013

Developers,

I have added a new RFC document proposing a solution for creating bitmap
patterns. This is in fact a new symbol type PATTERNMAP (wanted to use
BITMAP but it was already reserved for other purposes) which is aware of
color and backgroundcolor settings and rendered equally well with the
various kind of renderers. Currently we have no such option to achieve the
same result, by using vector symbols we can not provide the same look for
most of the renderers (agg, cairo), due to the possible antialiasing
behaviour of the line drawings.

Please find the complete RFC document at this location:
http://mapserver.org/trunk/development/rfc/ms-rfc-87.html

I have also created a tracking ticket for this addition:
https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/issues/4561

The corresponding implementation has been added to this branch:
https://github.com/szekerest/mapserver/tree/bitmapsymbol

I have also prepared a sample test case providing to implement all the
mapinfo symbols for auto style (see result image attached to this post):
http://www.gisinternals.com/tests/testbrushpatterns.zip

Let me know about your opinion.

Best regards,

Tamas