[mapserver-dev] libsvg-cairo / librsvg [vote]

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 00:37:33 PDT 2013

Tamas,
Unfortunately there are no existing other libraries that I know of
that would fit our needs with reasonable effort.

- agg has a primitive svg parser that SteveW and I extensively tested
a year ago ( http://imaptools.com:8080/svg-test/index-agg-svg.html ,
https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/issues/4252 ). While the
licence fits much better, it has some shortcomings by which some svg
primitives aren't supported, and it would also imply that we'd need to
rasterize svg symbols for our pdf and svg outputformats instead of
including the native vector primitives.
- we could roll our own SVG renderer based on a more liberal SVG
parser. Aside from the fact that we'd need to find a parser that's as
compliant and maintained as rsvg, this also requires substantial
funding (i.e. if the GPL doesn't fit a distributor he has the option
to fund an alternative, which is playing along the rules of gpl in the
first place).

regards,
thomas