[mapserver-dev] Labelcache potential optimization using spatial index

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 02:36:13 PST 2013

I was hoping to work on that and other labelcache optimizations during
the codesprint. Namely:

- cutting down on memory allocations:
 - use references to styleObjs and labelObjs instead of copies when
there are no bindings at stake
 - defer creation of labelcache shapeObj/rectObj to only allocate
memory for them if the label is effectively rendered
 - slim down our shapeObj object (cut into featureObj/geometryObj) so
that the bounding polys of our labels don't have to carry useless
information

- speeding up some collision detections, there's a shortcut we can use
when the label's bounding poly is the same as the label bounding box
(i.e. only do a bbox test, not an intersection test). This is a very
common occurence (i.e. when the label is not rotated), and would also
cut down on the need for allocating a shapeObj for the label.