[mapserver-dev] UTF8 - direction control characters

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon May 13 09:37:22 PDT 2013

On 5/13/2013 11:43 AM, Ian Walberg wrote:
> Folks,
>
> We are trying to display labels with UTF8 direction control characters
> in them and we are seeing boxes in the text.
>
> For example inserting a RLE code does seem to change the rendering order
> as expected but also displays a box.
>
> Our guess is that the control character has not been removed when the
> text is rendered so gets rendered as an unknown character.
>
> We are happy to look into this in more detail but could do with some
> guidance on where to look.

Ian,

Since mapserver does nothing with the text except to pass it to fribidi
and then it renders the fribidi text using freetype, I suspect you need
to ask this question on the fribidi list.

There was alos a thead a while back that might shead some light on this
on this in spite of the fact this this thread was about rendering Hindi
characters.

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail//mapserver-users/2013-January/074015.html

-Steve W