[mapserver-dev] UTF8 - direction control characters

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon May 13 15:22:53 PDT 2013

Ian,

I think the upshot of the Hindi issues is that we need to use a
different text rendering library in mapserver, but that will likely
require some funding to get it integrated.

Regarding the boxes, it turns out that UTF8/UNICODE have a lot(some?) of
zero width or non displayable characters. We already have some code in
mapserver to filter out a few of them that we ran into with arabic. If
you can figure out which ones these are, then you can probably just add
a few more to the filter list in the existing code.

-Steve W