[mapserver-dev] Building external projects with libmapserver

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 26 02:35:10 PDT 2013

Hi all,

Related to the recent threads about building MapCache with MapServer
support on mapserver-users [1] and zoo-project on mapserver-dev [2].

The mapserver-config executable provided build information that is no
longer available in the current CMake builds.

While it's possible to build MapCache 1.2.0 with MapServer 6.2.1 by just
specifying MAPSERVER_LIBRARY, this is not sufficient to build MapCache
1.2.0 with MapServer 6.4.0.

For the Debian packages I've patched the CMake build to export a CMake
module which contains among others the list of include directories used
to build MapServer so these can be included in the MapCache build.
[3][4] This information used to be provided by mapserver-config, but has
no equivalent in MapServer 6.4.0.

While the exported module looks like a nice solution for CMake based
projects, autotools based projects are not able to easily get the list
of includes required for MapServer. Or they'd need to parse the CMake
module too.

Is the CMake module the way to go for external project, or am I missing
something?

Kind Regards,

Bas

[1]
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/mapserver-users/2013-September/075296.html
[2]
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/mapserver-dev/2013-September/013654.html
[3]
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-grass/mapserver.git;a=blob;f=debian/patches/cmake-mapserver-export.patch;h=2d3bf6c48c8a9da05c7f74e2cf68c4799cc3cd82;hb=HEAD
[4]
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-grass/mapcache.git;a=blob;f=debian/patches/cmake-mapserver-include.patch;h=ee74f020fe3bea7360abb34392d8197d91932f51;hb=HEAD

--
GnuPG: 0xE88D4AF1 (new) / 0x77A975AD (old)