[mapserver-dev] RFC 110: Mapcache HTTP REST Cache backends

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Apr 18 07:47:22 PDT 2014

On 4/18/2014 10:14 AM, thomas bonfort wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> Please have a look at RFC110:
> http://www.mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-110.html

The RFC and the feature look great. This will be a nice addition.

I'm just trying to get my head around how this works in practice. Is
this just defining an alternate cache like a filesystem cache? So if I
have say an openlayers layer that points to my mapcache instance and it
is configured with a cloud cache, then when an incoming tile request is
recieved mapcache does a HEAD or GET to check if the tile exists and
sends it back if it does. otherwise it generated the tiles and PUTs then
to the cloud and returns the requested tile in the process. In the case
of a fully seeded cache, mapcache only needs to do 302 redirect to the
tile in the cloud. Is this about right?

If mapcache maintained a meta-image of the cache where one bit/pixel
equals a meta tile for each zoom level, you might be able to make a fast
local check if you have sent the tile to the cloud and redirect based on
that as performance optimization.

-Steve W