[mapserver-dev] Scalebar enhancement

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 00:40:57 PST 2015

Hi Devs,

We'd like to implement a small enhancement for the embedded scalebar
rendering to provide a better visual appearance in all cases.

1. Provide an option to display 'friendly' numbers using multiple of  of
1,10,100,1000,  etc... or 200,2000, etc... or 5,50,500,5000, etc... This
may result that the actual width of the scalebar may become slightly
different as what have been specified, but that's not a problem in our use
case.

2. Allow to switch the displayed unit between m and km automatically
according to the displayed distance values. For example 1000m would be
displayed as 1km automatically.

Does this make sense?

How do we expect to configure this behavior? Should that be a special
'scalebar style' or new scalebar parameters would be reasonable to be
added? I'd however avoid to introduce a new parameter for each option.

Thanks,

Tamas