[mapserver-dev] GSoC Ideas for MapServer

Oliver Courtin olivier.courtin at oslandia.com
Fri Feb 20 13:21:13 PST 2015

Le 19 févr. 2015 à 15:35, Even Rouault a écrit :

Hi Even,

> I doubt the overhead introduced by OGR would be really significant if you take
> into account the whole chain

I you have doubts, i have not :)
And this not because of OGR itself, but because of an abstraction layer in the middle.
It would cost (mostly on big GetFeature requests).

> (if performance was really a primary objective of
> WFS-T, they wouldn't have used XML encoding ;-)).

The only point where XML stuff impact performances is on XSD schema validation.
And we could choose to activate it or not, by configuration.

I really care about keeping high performances
and OGC full support in TinyOWS,
because that's the way to legitimate (and so to sell) this app.

As if we don't care about performances GeoServer is already fine. ^^

> The interest would be
> essentially if you want to support many backends with minimal coding on
> TinyOWS side.

Well i'm even not that sure about this point,
because a backend in TinyOWS really use a lot of differents spatial SQL (for full FE compliancy)
and database metadatas, and quite advanced SQL functions options (for performance tuning)
and OGR would surely not fit all this needs as an abstraction layer for all others databases.

And by many, in fact we mean two: SpatiaLite and Oracle Spatial,
all others spatial database are not able to provide functions as ST_GeomFromGML for instance.

>> Full WFS 2.0, or Complex Features handling,
>> on the other way is clearly much more interesting for end users, for
>> example… (but i guess too big to be a the target for a GSoC)
>
> Complex features is a complex subject even outside the context of a GSoC…

+1

For information, right now a client asks us to study the add of GML Application Schema and
Complex Features support, and seeks for other co funding partners.

If someone else is also interested in, let us know...

> WFS 2.0 would be more reachable. And could gmabe done step by step as there are
> several compliance levels.

Yes that really could be a way !
I like this idea !

I will look next week on this and will begin to write something related on the wiki page:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/MapServer_2015_SOC_Ideas

Cheers,

O.