[mapserver-dev] GSoC Ideas for MapServer

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri Feb 20 14:09:15 PST 2015

On 2015-02-18 5:30 PM, Lime, Steve D (MNIT) wrote:
> What about something related to CartoCSS support? Maybe via an alternative lexer.

I'd love to see this happen, I have discussed it with other Mapnik and
GeoServer devs in the past and there was interest. However I'm not sure
this is a good fit for a GSoC student: I mean, the first and most
challenging step of such a project would be to look at CartoCSS and the
other similar dialects (in GeoServer, etc) and to derive/document a
common denominator that all servers (MapServer, Mapnik, GeoServer, etc)
would be likely to adopt. This can be a painful task for a GSoC
student... not that much coding fun.

Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong by someone willing to add the
idea in the wiki page and offering to mentor a student through the
exercise.  ;-)

--
Daniel Morissette
T: +1 418-696-5056 #201