[mapserver-dev] Fwd: Sphinx is now hosted on Github

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Thu Jan 8 09:17:12 PST 2015

of interest to the doc community....

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [sphinx-users] ANN: Sphinx is now hosted on Github
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2015 16:21:44 +0100
From: Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net>
To: sphinx-dev at googlegroups.com, sphinx-users at googlegroups.com

Hi all,

we have decided to move hosting of the main Sphinx repository to Github.
  The new
location is

  http://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx

The move has several reasons, both from the development and from the
community point
of view -- most of them have been discussed at length in the community.
  Since Git
is pretty much a required skill for open source nowadays, we hope that
there is no
great disruption for people working with the Sphinx repository.

All issues have been migrated to Github issues with the same numbers.
Unfortunately
the user information cannot be migrated, so please re-subscribe to
issues on Github
if you want to be notified of changes.  We will add a comment to that
effect to each
Bitbucket issue.

The development process will be much the same, with pull requests as the
preferred
way of contributing.  Making and updating PRs should be a little easier
now with Git.

Pull requests still open at BitBucket will not be forgotten.  We
appreciate PRs
being resubmitted on Github (where they will e.g. benefit from automatic
CI runs),
but do not feel obligated to do so.

The contrib repository will remain at the usual location, although some
extension
developers have expressed a preferences for separate repositories.
Therefore in
the future the main hub for extensions will be something similar to the
survey
(http://sphinxext-survey.readthedocs.org/en/latest/) where extensions
are featured
with links going to separate repos and PyPI entries where applicable.

There are also new PyPI classifiers for sphinx related packages:

Framework :: Sphinx
Framework :: Sphinx :: Extension
Framework :: Sphinx :: Theme

Once most package authors use them, a PyPI query is the easiest way to
list all
available packages.

Sorry for any inconvenience and a happy new year,
your Sphinx dev team