[mapserver-dev] Label placement issue

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 15:36:07 PDT 2015

Hi,

It looks like the label placement it not working very well if we need to
place labels on polygons that are long thin rectangles orientated on an
angle. See the attachment as an example, where each polygon should have a
single label at the center of the polygon.

The problem is related to the implementation of msPolygonLabelPoint in
mapprimitive.c
<https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/blob/branch-7-0/mapprimitive.c>
where some kind of adjustment is happening when the label falls near to the
polygon boundaries.

Do we have a workaround to this problem or shouldn't we have an option to
switch this correction off in the label definition?

Best regards,

Tamas