[mapserver-dev] Default branch in github

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 06:26:29 PDT 2015

Even,
branch-x-y being the default instead of master is (was?) a desired
feature, namely because the vast majority of pull requests we get are
bug fixes, and we want those to make it into the stable branch and not
just the next major release. Our workflow is that a bugfix gets
committed to a stable branch (ideally the oldest we still want to
support), and then makes it's way into master automatically when
branch-x-y is merged into master (which happens on a regular basis).
Having the default branch as "master" means that pullrequests/bugfixes
go into master and then need to be backported/cherrypicked to the
stable branch(es) which results in multiple SHAs that need to be
tracked to make sure that the fix is effectively incorporated into
that/those stable branch(es).
Cheers,
Thomas