[mapserver-dev] php-mapscript missing from Ubuntu 16.04 beta?

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 4 12:45:07 PDT 2016

On 04/04/2016 09:07 PM, Worth Lutz wrote:
> Maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about but isn't php5 still on
> Ubuntu 16.04.

There are still php5 packages in xenial, but the default has switched to
php7.0.

As part of the default PHP switch in Ubuntu they removed the PHP support
from packages that don't support PHP 7 because SWIG doesn't support it
yet. This affected the geos package.

While PHP MapScript doesn't use SWIG, the extension also doesn't support
PHP 7 yet.

I'm not aware of the Ubuntu plans for PHP in xenial, they just made the
switch to PHP 7 sooner than in Debian. The PHP maintainers in Debian
only recently started the transition to PHP 7. They intend to ship PHP 7
in the next Debian stable release, xenial being an LTS is likely to follow.

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2016/01/msg00002.html

> When I setup this new test vm, I installed php5 and php5-pgsql. phpinfo
> shows version 5.6.17.
>
> Would not php5-mapscript work with this? Will php5 not be in the actual
> release?
>
> I see packages labeled php7.0.  Are these the php7 you are talking
> about?  I did not install that as I did not know there was the option.
>
> I'm confused by all this and will not be able to upgrade my servers if
> php-mapscript is not available.

Once PHP 7 support is available in MapServer, backports for xenial could
be provided via the UbuntuGIS PPA, but due to the lack of active
contributors to UbuntuGIS this seems unlikely.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1