[mapserver-dev] Typo fixing script in docs

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Feb 2 09:35:19 PST 2016

On 2016-02-02 12:32 PM, Even Rouault wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've added in a branch ( https://github.com/mapserver/docs/pull/143 ) an
> interactive script ./scripts/fix_typos.sh that helps identifying common typo
> fixes, and the fixes it helped finding. This uses the codespell Python script (
> upstream is https://github.com/lucasdemarchi/codespell . Actual version is my
> forked version with a few improvements ) that comes with its own dictionary.
> I've also added the Debian Lintian dictionary and the QGIS dictionary. The
> dictionaries are more code oriented than general purpose I guess, but there is
> a good amount of computerese in our docs, so it is still valuable.
>
> It requires Python 3 (and the first time it is run, git to download codespell
> and curl to download the additional dictionaries)
>
> You can use with : ./scripts/fix_typos.sh
> and answering the question when a typo is identified.
>
> A white list of words can be edited in ./scripts/fix_typos.sh itself, and when
> a word is OK only in a specific context, you can add the full line to whitelist
> in scripts/typos_whitelist.txt (sensitive to starting and trailing
> whitespace/tabulations, and only work on LF terminated files, hence a
> conversion of 2 files from CRLF to LF).
>
> Note: it is only run on en/ files, the dictionaries being only for English.
>
> Opinions ?
>
> Even

Sounds great. When you get to documenting the steps (likely in
/development/documentation.txt) be sure to include steps for Windows
users as well, as many doc contributors are on Windows.  Also, it would
be great to include steps for Python2 users, as I know the MS4W
environment was recently upgraded to Python 2.7.11 support. (yes I ask a
lot, but, you asked for my opinion :)

Thanks!

-jeff

--