[mapserver-dev] Call for discussion on MS RFC 115: Upgrade and cleanup of Tutorial and Demo datasets

Lime, Steve D (MNIT) Steve.Lime at state.mn.us
Mon Feb 29 11:52:32 PST 2016

Looks like a great start. Some comments:

  - I'd completely forget about legacy demos except for perhaps inspiration. They'll do nothing but cause confusion.
  - Suggestions for other in depth tutorials:
    -> anatomy of a MapServer application - how to arrange mapfiles, includes, data, templates, web assets, configuring Apache. Would be nice to endorse a structure...
    -> MapServer security
    -> queries (modes query, nquery, itemquery) and templates (new style only). You can really do a lot with standard queries including generating custom JSON/GEOJSON services and many user simply don't know what's possible.
    -> run-time configuration, parameter validation and setting defaults.1
    -> integration with common client platforms - OL2/OL3, Leaflet, Google Maps, Bing. Some super simple demos will go a long way, both for background/overlay map support but also for query support.

One thing I always enjoyed about the OL demos was how succinct they were - one feature highlighted at a time. I would encourage some of that here if possible...

Is there any plan to make this downloadable?

Steve