[mapserver-dev] MOTION to adopt RFC 118 - Vendor-specific WMS FILTER param

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Wed Aug 23 06:01:31 PDT 2017

Hi Jukka,

That's a very good question and I thought the same as you at first, but
when I think about it some more I'm not sure if the risk is real or not:
since the FILTER is combined with whatever pre-existing filter was
already in the layer, it can only reduce the number of features
returned/drawn, so it can hardly add much load, unless the number of
features returned/drawn was already excessively high.

I didn't research this in details so I may be missing something obvious.
What do you think?

Daniel

On 2017-08-16 5:12 AM, Rahkonen Jukka (MML) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One thing that came late into my mind: it will be rather easy to write
> FILTER params which are very heavy to execute in the database. Same
> applies to SLD, see https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/pull/4703,
> and because of that server admin can deny the use of SLD by setting
> ows_sld_enabled metadata into false.
>
> Unlike  %variable% it is not easy to validate OGC filters, but should we
> have at least a method for disabling it with some metadata like
> “wms_filter_enabled”
>
> -Jukka Rahkonen-

Daniel Morissette
Mapgears Inc