[mapserver-dev] Mapfile keywords questions

Lime, Steve D (MNIT) steve.lime at state.mn.us
Wed Jun 28 10:21:05 PDT 2017

Hi Seth: Results of my research... Thanks for sharing yours. I think you've identified a few places where some cleanup is warranted. --Steve

*RELATIVETO - I don't believe this is in use. Should be removed.

*COMPFILTER - My take is that COMPFILTER, while part of the enhancement, is not actually functional in any meaningful way so it's not worth documenting beyond RFC 113 at this point.

*GRATICULE - more research needed here. I'm not regular user of graticule/grid functionality, but it has not been formally deprecated.

*SCALETOKEN - is documented in detail here: http://mapserver.org/mapfile/layer.html.

*LATLON - this is processed at the map level as a shortcut to define a second geographic projection independent of the map->projection. Presumably something like "LATLON TRUE". It is used in some places in the CGI and template handling for projection to geographic coordinates. Probably should examine the need for it as it is not documented anywhere...

*JAVASCRIPT - I don't believe the token is needed. I imagine it was a holdover when the thought was that block of javascript could defined within a mapfile. Instead referencing an external file was pursued.

*SCALE - This is valid within the map object and is a parameter for CGI/FCGI and documented here: http://mapserver.org/mapfile/map.html. The idea is/was to set an explicit scale, center point and size and then let MapServer compute a matching extent rather than the other way around.

*INDEX - I don't believe this is in use. Should be removed.

*SIMPLE - This is a valid TYPE value within a SYMBOL object. It's actually the default value (e.g. a pixel) and is never set explicitly - hence the lack of documentation.

*TITLE - still a valid property for a class but deprecated. Should be considered for removal.

*VALUES - Part of the SCALETOKEN implementation and is covered there.

*COLORRANGE and DATARANGE - We've always considered that functionality experimental and ripe for refactoring and haven’t wanted to encourage their use. Lame, but that's my story... ;-)

*BANDSITEM - I don't believe this is in use. Should be removed. The bandsitem and bandsitemindex still exist as part of the layer object but are unused...

*OVERLAYSYMBOL - It's a deprecated CLASS-level keyword from the pre-STYLE days. It sets the SYMBOL property of the second style. It's there for backwards compatibility only.

*EQUALS - token is valid within the context of MapServer expression parsing. Represents geometry (GEOS) equality...

*MULTIPLE, SINGLE - I don't see why we need these keywords when we have ONE-TO-ONE and ONE-TO-MANY. We're lucky MS_ONE_TO_ONE = MS_SINGLE, etc... and that should be fixed in loadJoin()...

*LINECAP - I concur with the missing triangle option.