[mapserver-dev] Python MapScript

Bruno Friedmann bruno at ioda-net.ch
Thu Apr 12 11:27:19 PDT 2018

On mardi, 10 avril 2018 19.43:37 h CEST Seth G wrote:
> Thanks all for the support. The full test suite is being resurrected which
> will help check which parts of the API have changed from the docs (thanks
> to @claudep - see https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/pull/5572).
>
> One question it would be good to get input on is for versioning. In PyPI you
> can only change deployment packages by changing version number.
>
> I'd propose versioning following MapServer versioning (as the package will
> need to match the binaries), with an additional descriptor at the end to
> allow for some beta releases and patches. This follows  PEP 440 guidelines
> [1].
>
> e.g. 7.0.7a1, 7.0.7rc1, 7.0.7, 7.0.7.post1 etc.
>
> Seth
>
> [1]
> https://packaging.python.org/tutorials/distributing-packages/#standards-com
> pliance-for-interoperability

I'm not over fan of 7a1 etc as in rpm term it means > 7

I prefer the way a numerous project (Gnome, KDE) used as 7.1.7 = 7.2 alpha, .
1.8 beta 1.9 rc to finally have 7.2.0 release that ease packaging, doesn't
need tricks.
But that's just a gratis 2cts feedback ;-)

--

Bruno Friedmann
 Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch