[mapserver-dev] MapServer 7.2.0 Beta 1 is Released

Lime, Steve D (MNIT) steve.lime at state.mn.us
Thu May 10 10:54:16 PDT 2018

Well, I thought the work had been completed, but then again I'm not a PHP user at all and haven't paid that close of attention - other devs have traditionally led that charge. This came up as the beta was released. We have two ways to proceed:

1.       PHP 7 support via SWIG - http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-117.html. The RFC still shows draft status but there was a vote taken a little over a year ago and the RFC was accepted. Jeff will have to update folks on that work. I should have checked specifically ahead of the release - my fault.

2.       PHP/MapScript support (native code) - https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/issues/5252 and https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/pull/5461. There's a pull request for that, it wasn't clear if it should be applied given the RFC for SWIG support. It appears like that still needs a bit of work and testing (and Window's compilation).

I guess I'd prefer to pursue both ASAP. That way there's something for the longtime PHP/MapScript user and someone new. Again, I'm not a PHP or a Windows user so I'm not in a position to lead that work. Unless I'm missing something I don't see how either 1 or 2 can make it into 7.2.0 at this point and I don't want to delay 7.2 any further. I'd favor a short turnaround on a 7.2.1 or 7.4.0 release with PHP 7 support as the primary addition.

--Steve