[mapserver-dev] Missing layer name in error messages

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 07:31:01 PST 2019

Dear Developers,

It looks like the error messages provided by mapserver don't include the
layer name is most cases and the corresponding message is not too
instructive without this information, especially when the map configuration
contains large number of layers. I've also added an issue regarding to this
and a commit to fix that specific problem described out there:

 https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/issues/5755

However, the question arises as to how this problem should be dealt with in
a broader sense, because fixing all of the messages would require large
amount of work. I might think about the following alternatives to provide a
solution:

1. Don't do anything (let the user report issues if the layer name is
missed and fix that problem specifically for that message)
2. Hook into the vtable methods (in maplayer.c) and provide an additional
(generic) error message with the layer name
3. Review all of the messages (which are generated within the scope of a
layer operation) and discuss whether in should include the layer name or
not.

Thanks,

Tamas