[mapserver-dev] RFC 126: Port to PROJ 6 API

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Oct 1 20:08:10 PDT 2019

Hi Even,

Thanks a lot for taking on that work.

The significant performance hit caught my attention for the CGI case
which is a more common use case than the RFC seems to suggest. Is there
really not much that can be done about that?  Is it really just the
projection setup that is slower or are the coordinate conversions also
slower? Could we serialize the projection context pool for any given
mapfile to some kind of cache file in /tmp/ for instance and start from
the cached version at loadMap() time?  Could we get some gains this way
by not having to recompute all the projection transformations all the time?

Daniel

--
Daniel Morissette
Mapgears Inc