[mapserver-dev] Point Clouds, reprojecting . . .

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Tue Jan 21 14:05:39 PST 2020

All,

I’m sure there is a way to tweak this approach, but one thought coming out of this would be how to project (or shift) a set of point vertically, basically, I would want to copy a set of point that were colorized to represent some electrical conduit buried 18in below the surface.  Just thinking out loud here.  Another thought I’ve chased down from time to time is the ability to build a point cloud out of a CAD model.  I know this seems like a backwards approach, but the point cloud manipulation tools seem like they could cater to something like this very well, even providing for automated decimation on the fly of a CAD model in concert with a Pointcloud.

I’m coming at this from a background in CAD, so that may bias my opinions on some of this, but as these point clouds become denser and denser, the 3d modesl are simply moving toward a resolution managment method for presentation vs a vector drawn version of things.  There’s really nothing a high enough resolution can’t be used to represent.  This way all the presentation is using the same set of processes to represent stuff.

Anyway, still pondering . . .  keep the ides coming . . .

So, in the PDAL pipeline, is there a way to smooth or add points to set based on the coloring, as in filling in between the colrized points to paint at a higher resolution than the underlying colroized point were at originally?

bobb