[mapserver-dev] Motion: adopt MS-RFC-123: Support for MapML output in MapServer

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri Mar 27 05:45:31 PDT 2020

Good question. The option to host the viewer polyfill at mapserver.org
to offer a built-in mapml viewer mode similar to the openlayers viewer
came up in my discussion with Peter Rushforth about the RFC.

I didn't want to add this at the last minute to the RFC, but if there is
interest then after the initial implementation we could add a mechanism
similar to the openlayers viewer to automagically generate a mini viewer
page using mapml. That would imply that we host the leaflet polyfill
viewer files at mapserver.org though.

I'm not sure if I would remove the existing openlayers viewer since it
serves a slightly different purpose, it works for any GetMap request and
does not require any mapml configs. My preference would be to keep it
and to upgrade the openlayers version in MapServer 8.0.

Daniel

On 2020-03-27 06:26, michael.smith.erdc at gmail.com wrote:
> That’s a good question. We’d have to serve out the polyfill as well but that seems like a good replacement for the OL viewer. I’d support that.
>
> Mike
>
>> On Mar 27, 2020, at 6:11 AM, Seth G <sethg at geographika.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> +1 from me.
>>
>> One question - do you see this as a good replacement for the inbuilt OpenLayers viewer [1][2] (which is using OL v2 which stopped development ~5 years ago)? Should we consider removing the OL output in MapServer 8 if there is MapML support?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Seth
>>

>> [1] https://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-63.html
>> [2] https://mapserver.org/cgi/openlayers.html
>>

>> --
>> web:http://geographika.co.uk
>> twitter: @geographika
>>
>>> On Fri, Mar 27, 2020, at 4:57 AM, Daniel Morissette wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I made a few final edits based on the feedback that I got and we are now
>>> ready to vote on MS-RFC-123: Support for MapML output in MapServer.
>>>

>>> MOTION: approve https://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-123.html
>>>
>>> I start with my +1
>>>
>>> Daniel
>>>
>>> --