[mapserver-dev] Draft proposal for 8.0 - Site Context FIles

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sat Apr 3 04:37:37 PDT 2021

Steve,

Excellent initiative. A few remarks:

- Why not calling this a configuration file ? I believe it would be
slightly clearer than context

- Since MS 8.0 will include nlohmann/json, perhaps consider a JSON
configuration file rather than our historical mapfile-like syntax ? This
would allow to develop a json-schema for validation. Your example would
become:

{

   "env": {

     "#comment": "put some comment here"

     "|MS_MAP_NO_PATH": "true"

   },

   "maps": {

    "|MAP1": "/opt/mapserver/myapp/map1.map",|

|  "MAP2": "||/opt/mapserver/myapp/map2.map"|

   }

}

- Regarding using putenv(), I'm not sure this is a good idea in FastCGI
mode, according to what is mentioned in
http://web.mit.edu/wwwdev/man/man3/FCGI_Accept.3.  Using GDAL
CPLSetConfigOption() instead of putenv() and CPLGetConfigOption()
instead of getenv() would avoid messing with the "environ" global
variable. (unless I'm wrong our CI doesn't test at all CGI / FastCGI ...
I'll try to look at adding some testing of this)

Even

http://www.spatialys.com