[mapserver-dev] Reminder of upcoming 8.0 release plan dates

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Apr 7 07:08:24 PDT 2021

Hi devs,

With the recent proposed changes coming down the pipe for 8.0, I feel
that we must again push back the 8.0 release dates much more, to
something more realistic & to give time for feedback and testing for
these major upcoming changes.  August/September is our usual big release
deadline each year, so here are the proposed date changes for 8.0 :

   Feature freeze: Fri. August 6, 2021
   8.0-beta1: Fri. August 13, 2021
   8.0-beta2: Fri. August 20, 2021
   8.0-rc1: Fri. August 27, 2021
   8.0 (final): Fri. September 3, 2021

I've updated the release plan to point to the latest draft RFCs etc.
https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/wiki/MapServer-8.0-Release-Plan
(please edit if I missed anything)

Also, likely it would be good for the community to have another 7.6
bugfix release, so 7.6.3, as there are a couple of changes in the
pipeline that would be useful for users, while they wait for the big
8.0: https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/compare/rel-7-6-2...branch-7-6

Therefore I propose that we release 7.6.3 at the end of this month
(April 30th).

Please share your thoughts here.

Thanks,

-jeff