[mapserver-dev] Motion: rename default 'master' branch to 'main'

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Jan 12 12:54:16 PST 2021

Hi PSC,

Some may remember a past discussion here about possibly renaming our
'master' branch to a less insensitive name as 'main'.  It was decided to
wait a bit, as Github stated that by January 2021 it would make it
easier to change the default branch name
(https://github.com/github/renaming).

I have checked our settings today and indeed it is now possible through
the regular settings.

For our code repository, 'MapServer', here is the dialog window before
pressing the 'rename branch' button: https://pasteboard.co/JJlr3xy.png

For those not wanting to click an external link, it states that Github
will automatically:
- update 8 pull requests targeting this branch across 6 repositories
- update 1 branch protection rule that explicitly targets 'master'
*note that renaming this branch will not update your members' local
environments

For our documentation repository, 'MapServer-documentation', here is the
dialog window before pressing the 'rename branch' button:
https://pasteboard.co/JJluDt6.png

As you can see the impacts on the documentation are less because there
are no open pull requests etc.

So, it is a good time to move forward with this.  Could there be some
other impacts?  Possibly, but I believe it is worth trying now, and we
can adapt if necessary.

I motion to rename the default 'master' branch to 'main' for the
MapServer and MapServer-documentation repositories.

I'll start with a +1

PS. happy 2021 to everyone

-jeff