[mapserver-dev] OGC API Review Requested

Steve Lime sdlime at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 07:09:05 PDT 2021

Thanks Jeff! Should the wiki page be deleted to avoid confusion?

I'm interested in what folks think about the Inja templating/includes
issues detailed in the Security Considerations -> Template Handling section.

Regarding the wishlist/tasks:

*task: add ows_contact* information to the landing page (from the
associated values set in the mapfile)*
I don't think contact information is part of the core specification is it?
I see pygeoapi does support it but is there a standard approach...

*wishlist: besides the “/ogcapi” API signature (for features,
maps..support), also allow “/features” (to allow developers to only request
vector collections),*
Need to make a decision on this. Curious what Tom's take is. If there is no
overlap in endpoint naming between the Features, Maps, etc...
specifications (besides API common) then perhaps it's not necessary and we
can just stick to the single signature. It gets messy otherwise. I mean,
let's say we eventually support Features and Maps and the signature is
"features" - should that limit the API paths to common + the couple of
Features endpoints (/items and /items/{itemId})?

Right now in terms of enabling OGC API it's all or nothing but that's just
because we're concentrating on Features. We could add the ability to only
enable API endpoints associated with a specific specification (e.g.
Features, Maps, Coverages) via metadata.

*wishlist: include MapServer logo on landing page*
I don't think we want to mess with requiring users to install assets in a
web accessible directory. Possible solutions would be:

   1. base64 encode a version of the logo and include it in the shared
   header
   2. place a few assets on mapserver.org and reference them there

*wishlist: set MapServer favicon for all HTML pages*
See last item, I think either option would work here too...

*wishlist: allow other link types for collection item (set through
mimetype/outputformats in mapfile?)*
Not exactly sure what you're proposing here. Can you provide an example? I
do think it's worth considering mechanisms to create item/feature specific
links that are derived from the data associated with the feature. One idea
would be to treat gml_constants as Inja templates, so for example (I think
this is right):

METADATA
  gml_constants "itemlink1"
  gml_itemlink1_value "http://foo.com/?id={{ attribute }}"
END

Or something along those lines. I don't think automatic link generation is
a good idea, users should be explicit.

*wishlist: instead of text links, use a dropdown for types (JSON, HTML,
KML, etc.)*
Not sure what you're proposing here...

*wishlist: for the single layer map, include a dropdown to set the default
number of features displayed in the map:*
I assume you're talking about the /collections/{collectionId}/items
endpoint. Yes, we can add a control (similar to pygeoapi), as well as
controls to allow stepping through the results, assuming paging is
necessary. I don't know if it's worth adding a layer-level map. I suppose
we can and make it toggleable using tags (like debug info is).

*wishlist: for the single layer map, display the current MapServer scale
value below the map (as user zooms in, update the scale with the CGI
[scale] value)*
There is no MapServer scale value available - MapServer isn't producing a
map. I think we should delete this item...

--Steve