[mapserver-dev] can mapserver serve xyz

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 09:44:37 PST 2021

I'm not sure what you're trying to do so apologizes if I'm stating the
obvious, but MapServer is a rendering engine that takes raw data (vector
and/or raster) and returns a rasterized representation of that data based
on the request. That may be a single image or multiple tiles depending on
the request. If you already have tiles then you don't need MapServer. Your
client (QGIS, OpenLayers, etc.) can fetch those tiles directly. Neither of
the query strings that you've pasted into the email look valid to me so I'm
not surprised that you're not getting any results.

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 7:05 AM Bruce Clay <bclay1297 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can mapserver serve xyz (mapbox or others) type tiles?
>
> If I try to add a xyz layer in qgis using
> http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/data/config/map/nasaww.map&MODE=tile&TILEMODE=gmap&LAYERS=bluemarble/{z}/{x}/{y}.png
> I always get a black set of tiles
>
> if i query
> http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/data/config/map/nasaww.map&MODE=tile&TILEMODE=gmap&TILE=0+0+0&LAYERS=bluemarble
> I get a black tile
>
> if I change the layer name to a non-existent layer I still get a black
> tile and no errors are reported in the mapserver log file.
>
> if I click on the openlayers.html file in the root directory of the
> tileset it displays valid images.
>
> Online documentation refers to a tile mode but does not explain how to
> configure the map file to support xyz.
>
> Bruce

Richard W. Greenwood
www.greenwoodmap.com