[mapserver-dev] Cookies as Params

Steve Lime sdlime at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 11:32:18 PDT 2021

Hi all: MapServer has always treated cookies as parameters. Those values
are added to the parameter names and values arrays and are basically just
another way to set standard request parameters. This can cause a problem
with OGC API specs that require exceptions be generated when unexpected
parameters are encountered. Note that standard AJAX use with something like
jQuery can also trigger the exception when it tags on params to make calls
unique - so there's more to discuss.

Anyway, it got me wondering if we need to continue to handle cookies at
all. I don't see much value and simpler is better but I don't know if
others might be using that feature... Thoughts?

--Steve