[mapserver-dev] Proposal/request to implement FlatGeobuf as built-in format

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Apr 26 03:57:30 PDT 2022

(to followup from our chat on IRC yesterday)

To clarify: this would be a new native format in MapServer, such as
Shapefile or PostGIS, and the goal would be to not connect to FlatGeobuf
through OGR, but instead directly, such as:

   DATA countries.fgb

instead of:

   CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
   CONNECTION "countries.fgb"
   DATA "countries"

This should improve the performance even more.  And it will be easy to
update the documentation, as the existing files just need to be updated
(see the new page at https://mapserver.org/input/vector/flatgeobuf.html )

Great plan Björn!  I look forward to your Pull Request, ha, and will
tackle the documentation changes for you.

This is also great news for MapServer, and will give us some nice publicity.

Thanks so much!

-jeff

On 2022-04-25 5:57 p.m., Björn Harrtell wrote:
> Hi mapserver devs!
>
> I got interested in the subject because of the tests made recently by
> Jeff that shows the potential of the format. I believe it should be
> possible to get significant additional performance out of FlatGeobuf in
> MapServer if it was built in just like Shapefile support is.
>
> FlatGeobuf C++ implementation is rather small, doesn't require any
> dependencies, and I don't expect it to require any invasive changes to
> existing code.
>
> Would love to get started on this ASAP, if there are no objections. :)
>
> Regards,
> Björn Harrtell

Jeff McKenna
GatewayGeo: Developers of MS4W, MapServer Consulting and Training
co-founder of FOSS4G
http://gatewaygeo.com/