[MapServer-dev] related news item today: pygeoapi now has OGC API Maps support (leveraging MapServer)

Tom Kralidis tomkralidis at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 07:23:14 PST 2022

Thanks Jeff.  Yes, the idea here is for pygeoapi [1] to use MapServer's
core map rendering functionality
directly via MapScript in a dynamic fashion (building mapfile in memory).
At the moment the inputs are
a data binding as well as a style definition (either an SLD file [big
thanks for layerObj.msSLDApplySLD],
or an include file with CLASS definitions) for minimum capability.

Future plans include passing a mapfile as well as enhanced styling support
(for example MapBox tiles),
which would need to be transformed into MapServer native style constructs.

In addition, I did have a few (known) MapScript build issues (PyPI,
building from source on MacOS, etc.,
ended up running from UbuntuGIS support), as well as a few things that need
polishing on MapScript,
so might be worth digging into these moving forward.

Any feedback or suggestions are welcome and valued.

Cheers

..Tom