[MapServer-dev] MapServer and PROJ Questions

Seth G sethg at geographika.co.uk
Sat Apr 15 03:18:22 PDT 2023

Hi all,

Following on from the pull request "Allow custom projections to be requested via WMS" [1], I've been trying to use an ESRI projection (esri:54009) with PROJ 9.1 and the main branch of MapServer.

1. The proj.db database contains all the ESRI projections, including 54009. Should MapServer not be able to use any of these projections by default?

proj_create_argv is called with "init=esri:54009" but fails with "msProcessProjection(): Projection library error. proj error 'no options found in 'init' file' for 'init=esri:54009'

The record is in the proj.db database: SELECT * FROM projected_crs WHERE code = '54009'

2. Everything works if I create a text file named ESRI and put it in the folder in the PROJ_DATA path. I also tried setting PROJ_DATA (and PROJ_LIB) to multiple folders to allow me to put custom projections in a different folder - as implemented at [2] and described at [3] - "Starting with PROJ 6, multiple directories can be specified. On Unix, they should be separated by the colon (:) character. on Windows, by the semi-colon (;) character."

However this doesn't seem to pick up the custom projection file on Windows or Linux e.g. in the mapserver.conf file I set: PROJ_LIB "C:/MapServer/bin/proj9/share;C:/Temp"

Any help or pointers on the above greatly appreciated!

Seth

[1] https://github.com/MapServer/MapServer/pull/6795
[2] https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/commit/03b8e99d388013558b1a2ec02a82af4763b26b34
[3] https://proj.org/usage/environmentvars.html#envvar-PROJ_DATA