[MapServer-dev] Motion: upgrade documentation license version from CC BY-SA 3.0 to 4.0

jbo-ads at mailo.com jbo-ads at mailo.com
Mon Feb 6 07:32:47 PST 2023

+1

Jérome

De : Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com>
Sujet : [MapServer-dev] Motion: upgrade documentation license version from CC BY-SA 3.0 to 4.0
Date : 06/02/2023 15:31:57 Europe/Paris

Dear PSC,

Background
----------

Through recent clarifications made for the MapServer-documentation
GitHub repository, as well as the visible 'copyright' page on
mapserver.org, it was pointed out that the documentation uses an old CC
BY-SA version, 3.0, that was released in 2007, whereas a more complete
license version 4.0 has been available since 2013.

The CC BY-SA 4.0 license was released to tackle some issues such as:
- international law / global scope
- prevent copyleft trolls
- to prevent:
https://doctorow.medium.com/a-bug-in-early-creative-commons-licenses-has-enabled-a-new-breed-of-superpredator-5f6360713299
- international translations of the license
- improved readability
- read more about "what's new" in the 4.0 series at
https://creativecommons.org/version4/
- read a short summary of the 4.0 license:
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/

I believe that this is a good time to upgrade the
MapServer-documentation license to version 4.0

The Fedora project also recently upgraded from CC BY-SA 3.0 to 4.0 :
- read about the benefits of upgrading, for the Fedora project:
https://communityblog.fedoraproject.org/policy-proposal-update-default-content-license-to-cc-by-sa-4-0/
- read about the Fedora announcement of the CC BY-SA 4.0 default
license:
https://communityblog.fedoraproject.org/fedoras-default-license-for-content-is-now-cc-by-sa-4-0/

Motion to the PSC
-----------------

I therefore motion to the MapServer PSC that the MapServer-documentation
license should be upgraded from CC BY-SA 3.0 to CC BY-SA 4.0

Motion voting window
--------------------

Will give 5 business days for responses.

Related Pull Request

https://github.com/MapServer/MapServer-documentation/pull/796

Comments
--------

I believe this is good timing, to review the original documentation
license, before the imminent MapServer 8.0.1 release.

Thank-you for your passion, to share,

-jeff