[MapServer-dev] Does mapserver support GIF format for WMS / WMTS services?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Sep 8 05:43:32 PDT 2023

Philippe,

Le 08/09/2023 à 14:16, Philippe Ghesquiere via MapServer-dev a écrit :
> Hi all,
> I am a little bit confused with GIF support for WMS/WMTS services.
> In several parts of the documentation, it is mentioned that GIF
> support is discarded with the end of the "GD library" support.
>
> I noticed the compilation option in CMakelists.txt :
> option(WITH_GIF "Enable GIF support (for PIXMAP loading)" ON)
> I do not understand the "for PIXMAP loading" comment.
>
> Anyway, our mapserver does not server WMS/WMTS tiles in GIF format.
>
> So here are my few questions :
>
>   * is GIF support enabled by default for WMS/WMTS services ?

no

>   * do I need to add the option : -DWITH_GIF=ON for cmake configuration ?

only to load raster symbols in GIF format

>   * do I need to add a specific mapserver configuration, like :
>     OUTPUTFORMAT
>        NAME "GIF"
>        DRIVER GDAL/GIF
>        MIMETYPE "image/GIF"
>        IMAGEMODE RGB
>        EXTENSION "gif"
>     END

I don't think that will work. The GDAL GIF driver already expects
paletted data, not RGB.  And I don't think switching IMAGEMODE to PC256
would work since that support has effectively gone.

I believe the only option to get paletted data is to use PNG8 with the
AGG/PNG8 driver and MIMETYPE="image/png; mode=8bit"

Even

http://www.spatialys.com