[Mapserver-inspire] MapServer and INSPIRE

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Sun Apr 17 22:58:34 EDT 2011

On 11-04-16 03:08 PM, Martin Kofahl wrote:
> Thanks to James, I could easily extend the GetCapabilities output for scenario 1 and focused on multi-language support for now. We could take advantage of MapServer variable substitution from url.
>
> Please take a look at http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/3608#comment:11

I see that you raised priority on the ticket, possibly in the hope that
we can fit this in 6.0? This caught the attention of the release
manager. ;-)

Unfortunately I think it's too late to put this in 6.0 and this should
be pushed to 6.2. Note that there are talks of doing a 6.2 in the summer
(definitely before FOSS4G) so the delay would not be too long. In the
meantime users who require this level of INSPIRE support could apply the
patch locally, but there are a few reasons why I think we should wait
until 6.2 for the official release of this code:

1- We are way past the 6.0 feature freeze and this is clearly a new
feature and not a bug fix

2- Unless I'm mistaken, this patch addresses only a subset of the
INSPIRE requirements and may not be compatible with a more complete
solution that would come in 6.2 to more widely address INSPIRE
requirements (what this mapserver-inspire group needs to work on)...
what I mean is that once something like this is released, it will be
nearly impossible to take it out, so I'd rather wait until we have a
solid solution instead of putting something in that we may have to take
back out later.

What do others think?

--
Daniel Morissette