Mapserver on NT

Brent Fraser bfraser at digitalscience.com
Tue Apr 13 16:57:18 EDT 1999

Fellow MapServer Implementers,

  Steven Lime asked me to write a summary on implementing
Mapserv on Windows NT.  Below is a short note on my experiences.

I've taken a few short cuts just to get it up and running (especially
with the regex stuff), so if anyone else has suggestions, improvements
etc, I'm all ears!  And since I haven't tested all the functionality yet,
some of the those short cuts may cause problems.

Brent Fraser
GeoAnalytic Inc.
1150 , 633 - 6th Avenue SW Calgary, AB T2P 2Y5
Tel:  (403)213-2700 Fax:  (403)213-2707
info at geoanalytic.com
www.geoanalytic.com

Implementing University of Minnesota MapServer

1.  Software Configuration

    The software I use for actually running the Mapserver
(once it is compiled) are:

    Windows NT Workstation 4.0
    Apache 1.3 Webserver
    MapServer 3.211

    I use Visual C++ 5.0 for building Mapserver, and the following
components:

    freetype-1.2 from http://www.freetype.org/download.htm
    tiff-v3_4beta035-tar.gz from ftp://ftp.sgi.com/graphics/tiff
        (I see that beta37 is now available)
    hs_regex from http://people.delphi.com/gjc/winregex.html
    proj4 4.3.3 from ftp://kai.er.usgs.gov/pub/proj.4

    Other components used are from the Mapserver distribution
(gd, shapelib) although they are available on the Internet as well.

    I compile each of the components into libraries using a separate
VC++ project for each.  I also make a library out of most of the
mapserver files, all except mapserv.c. Mapserv.c is in it's own
project with the compiled libraries from the other projects.

2.  Changes to Source Code

Changes to Mapserver source

MAPFILE.C, function msLoadMap, (around line 1120), comment out
    the "if" block that starts with:
        if(regexec(&re, filename, 0, NULL, 0) != 0) { /* no match */
    It has problems with Windows style paths

MAPSHAPE.C, at the top of the file insert
        #include <memory.h>
    for Windows compatibility

MAPSERV.C,  function ReturnHTML, (around line 740?), comment out
    the "if" block that starts with
        if(regexec(&re, html, 0, NULL, 0) != 0) { /* no match */
    again, problems with Windows paths

Changes to Proj4 source

In PARAM.C and PROJECTS.H, change all occurrences of PVALUE
(there is four of them)  to something like PJVALUE, since Windows
already uses PVALUE

Changes to regex source

In REGEXEC.C and REGEX.H, remove any occurrences of __stdcall.
Windows now has a different default calling convention.

Changes to libtiff source

In TIF_WIN32.C, in function _tiffUnmapProc, comment out the following
line:
   CloseHandle((HANDLE)map_handle);
For some reason, this causes mapserv to crash on NT.