TIFF/GeoTIFF images on MapServer 3.2

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Apr 29 10:27:15 EDT 1999

Perry: Nope, TIFF is an incredibly flexible format, with many variations (pixel depth, compression). That's why
some folks don't like it, it's sometimes too flexible. Imagine can kick out collormapped GeoTIFF, although I
believe you need to do the color reduction (i.e. 24bit -> 8bit) as a separate process and then go to GeoTIFF.

(I know there are other list users more adept at the color reduction step than I. Perhaps they'll post a how-to.)

Other packages like Photoshop, XV, PaintShop Pro and PBMPlus can do the color reduction on a TIFF but
you'll likely loose the GeoTIFF tags. You could always just go with an ESRI world file in that case.

(Note: Images MUST be in the same projection as the output map. PROJ.4 projection capabilities extend only
to vector data, not raster data. Just too slow (although feasible). GeoTIFF support does not make use of the
rotation coeficients, just the UL coordinates and cellsizes.)

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Programmer
MIS Bureau - MN DNR

(651) 297-2937
steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us

>>> "Pericles S. Nacionales" <pnaciona at lists.gis.umn.edu> 04/28 8:43 PM >>>
Hi Folks,

This is probably more for Steve but I thought I'd send it through here in case others have suggestions, or might have ran into the same problem.  The question, as stupid as it may sound, is how does one create a colormapped TIFF or geoTIFF?  I thought that a GeoTIFF is a GeoTIFF so I created an image through Imagine.  Alas!, this is what I got when I tried using it with MapServer 3.2:

An error has occurred in drawTIFF(): Image handling error. Only colormapped and grayscale images are supported.

Any ideas, tips, suggestions?

Thanks,

Pericles S. Nacionales
GIS and Remote Sensing Lab