atomising dbfadd shpadd operations

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri Aug 6 08:42:18 EDT 1999

Cool. The utilities in shapelib were written by that packages author
and were indended as short, simple example of how one might use
his library. I don't believe there is any documentation other than
the code itself which I think is fairly well commented.

CGI programs, I think, are not affected by "stopping" the browser. The
web server doesn't kill the process, but just let's it finish. Lincoln Stein
wrote a bit of code that allowed C CGI programs to detect that condition
and bail gracefully. I've thought about adding it but haven't yet. I think
the package was called CGIabort. I'll see if I can find the link.

Another item to add to the transaction management piece is file locking.

I assume you're developing this as a separate piece of code rather than
as an integral piece of MapServer (as it currently sits)?

steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst
MIS Bureau - MN DNR

(651) 297-2937
steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us

>>> Cameron Shorter <camerons at cat.org.au> 08/06 7:15 AM >>>
Hi,

I'm now working toward a web based updating of mapserver shapefiles.

I notice that there are a few programs (dbfadd, shpadd, etc) in
ms_3.2/shapelib which I will probably use.  I don't suppose there is some
documentation for these programs floating around are there? :)

The one problem that I see is if an operator aborts an operation half way
through the updating of the .dbf and .shp files, and only one of the files
is updated, or it is partially updated.  Ie we need to ensure the updates
are done fully or not at all, or if the update only partially completes
then the database is corrected next time the database is accessed.

Has anyone addressed this problem before?

Cameron Shorter
61.2.9901-1596 work.