Version 3.3 beta - soon...

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Mon Dec 13 17:28:43 EST 1999

Just so folks don't think I'm slacking off I wanted to let people know that I plan to release 3.3 beta
early this week. There are ton's of new features and I've added a couple of new ones just
in the last few days. Here are just a few:

  - support for gd versions 1.2 and up
  - support for greyscale JPEG images
  - font drop shadows
  - automatic font rotation
  - new labeling controls including offsets, duplicate control, label buffers, etc...
  - expanded class/query expressions to 3 types
      * string compare
      * regular expressions
      * logical expressions (shapefiles only)
         > now you can write range queries like ([AREA] > 20000 and [AREA] <=  100000)
         > or do calculations like ([AREA]/[PERIMETER] > 0.7)
  - introducing querymaps- a mechanism to map query results
  - form access to virtually all map file parameters
  - expanded symbol sets
  - concatenated annotation (eg. TEXT "[FIRSTNAME], [LASTNAME]")
  - inline features (eg. features defined IN the map file)
  - mapscript - perl based access to the core mapserver API (java,tk/tcl,python versions possible as well)
  - raster classes - reclassify raster images on-the-fly
  - unique temporary image names (pid + time)
  - one-to-many joins

Lots of bug fixes (and of course new bugs) etc...

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR