US Street Map

Banister Trevor TBanister at SpaceImaging.com
Sat Oct 9 13:09:14 EDT 1999

If you have ArcView, there is a free Avenue script at:
http://gis.esri.com/arcscripts/details.cfm?CFGRIDKEY=1270853054

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul G. Allen [mailto:pgallen at randomlogic.com]
Sent: Friday, October 08, 1999 2:15 PM
To: MapServer Users List
Subject: US Street Map

I plan to put up a map of the entire US including every street, freeway,
city,
county, etc. I have all the data, but I need to convert it into the proper
format. The data files are currently in TIGER/Line format as text files (see
http://www.perens.com or fpt://ftp.perens.com/pub/US-map for more info).
Each
file is a separate TIGER/Line record type. I've heard there are a lot of
converter programs available. Is there a converter for this format that will
put
the data in the format necessary for MapServer - to convert it into ESRI
format
.shp, .shx, and .dbf files?

Thanks,

PGA

P.S. - If anyone is wanting to D/L the data, fair warning: it took me most
of
the night on my 1.5MB/sec cable modem. It's 2.6GB of bzipped text files in
57
different directories. I'm glad I have NcFTP! :)