Map Test Project update (e00 files)

Scott Phillips sphillip at mail.esrp.org
Tue Oct 19 15:01:20 EDT 1999

Re: utilities for e00 files.

I haven't used it myself, but I noticed that there is a utility
called e002gen available from the US Bureau of Land Management.
(ftp://ftp.blm.gov/pub/gis/)  to convert E00 files to Generate
files (ASCII text files that store coordinates)

The index for the directory notes that the utility only works on
line files.

It looks like it is available as both source code (e002gen.zip)
and as a DOS executeable (e002gen.exe).

This site also has a copy of shapelib distribution that includes a
program called gen2shp to create a shape file from a generate file.
(ftp://ftp.blm.gov/pub/gis/shape/)

Note also that the Import71 utility (windows app) can be downloaded
for free from ESRI without buying ArcView.  However, this utility
does not create shape files, it creates ARC/INFO coverages that are
used with the more expensive ARC/INFO GIS software, but can be read
by ArcView too.  (http://www.esri.com/company/free.html)

If you have GRASS, you could import e00 files and probably export the
data into somthing you could turn into a shape file using shapelib.

Regards,

Scott Phillips
sphillip at esrp.org