mapserver modify shape proposal

Cameron Shorter cshorter at optusnet.com.au
Fri Oct 29 06:19:20 EDT 1999

Tim Ogg wrote:

> Cameron -
>
>   I have seen your communication with the mapserver discussion group and Steve Lime about
> adding shape file modification capability to mapeserver. I am not a programmer. I am merely a GIS person
> who has an application that would require shape file editing via a browser using something like mapserver.
> I don't want to pay for something like ESRI-IMS if I don't have to.
>
>   From the discussion archive it isn't clear if you are actually going to attempt to implement editing
> capabilities or not. Where do you stand on the issue? If you plan to go ahead, do you have an
> intended timeline at all? I know this is most likely a situation where you work on it when you can
> and it is impossible to know the timeline but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Tim,
Yes, I am working on a web based modify-map program.  It will be a seperate
program to mapserver, but should dovetail with it well.  Much as I'd like to
work on this full time, I have to earn my keep as well, so timelimes are
pushed out a bit, but this is a very rough idea of what I'm expecting to have
completed and when:

End of November : Finish cgi parser (I'm half way through this now)
January (ish)   : Allow a user to add a shape to a ERSI object
<release point>
March 2000      : Write some front end application (in java or javascript)
that will allow an operator to add a map.
<release point>
June 2000       : Incorporate Modify/Delete capabilities
September 2000  : Clean up error handling and so forth

This is assuming that no one volunteers to help out.