GIF Format Issues

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Sep 1 14:42:16 EDT 1999

The University will pursue a non-commercial license I suspect. My worry is
more for those using this stuff within a commercial setting, but then again
it's their problem at that point.

Steve

>>> Cameron Shorter <cshorter at optusnet.com.au> 09/01 5:39 AM >>>
If you check out the slashdot article at
they say:
"And if you plan to create - or have already created - free
image-processing software that uses Unisys-patented LZW technology, you
might want to ask the company, very politely, for a giveaway license
that would cover non-commercial use of your product. I suspect that Mr.
Starr (who has final judgement in such matters) might just give you one
if you approach him correctly and you manage to convince him that you
aren't trying to burn Unisys with some sort of bogus giveaway deal that
is really meant to make you or your program's users rich while denying
Unisys shareholders the licensing fees that - like it or not - they are
legally entitled to collect if you try to earn a profit from your use of
their intellectual property."

I reckon you have nothing to loose to contact Unisys and ask to be able
to use the GIF format.