what is polyline

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri Apr 14 12:18:39 EDT 2000

First off, polygon shapes can be drawn as polyline layers, but line shapefiles should not. The reason is in how shape closure is handled.

For polygon shapes the difference between type line and polyline is basically a matter of annotation. Line types are labeled on the line whereas polylines are labeled like polygons in the center of the polygon.

Steve

<<< rgu at ems.muenchen.de  4/14  5:12a >>>
Hi

I tried to figure out what exactly is polyline.
Is it true that

* I can just display the outlines of a polygon rendered with a specified
line symbol
* but can not display polygons with fill and a specified outline

If yes, then I don't know what's the difference to using TYPE LINE for a
polygon shapefile.

Any explanation, maybe example would be appreciated.

Kind regards - markus